This guide will assist you with research on your topic(s). There are recommendations for the best resources and search tips to help you locate encyclopedias (for background information), books, visual materials, and articles in databases. MLA information and writing resources are also available.
The first area focuses on finding viewpoint sources such as opinion articles/editorials and pieces of visual rhetoric (cartoons, ads, bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc.) on three topics that you may choose a controversy from:
(1) Language Acquisition, Deprivation, Bilingualism for Deaf Children, the Nyle DiMarco Foundation and AGBADHH controversy;
(2) Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter;
(3) 2020 Political Campaign Rhetoric on Trump and Biden, Check out SignVote!(CSD), NAD Voter Hotline, Convo, the Daily Moth, and DPan ASL Interpreted Debates.
The second area focuses on finding informative sources regarding the larger historical, political, and cultural contexts.
(1) Deaf History, Deaf Education Debates, Resarch on Language Acquisition/Deprivation/Bilingualism (General/Deaf, L1/L2)
(2) Race, Racism, School-to-Prison Pipeline, Socioeconomic Disparities/Inequity/Inequality
(3) Socialism, Sexism, Xenophobia
If you have questions, feel free to contact me, Joan Naturale - I am the NTID and Deaf Studies Librarian and happy to help.