This guide will assist you with research on your topic(s). There are recommendations for the best resources and search tips to help you locate encyclopedias (for background information), books, visual materials, and articles in databases. MLA information and writing resources are also available.
The first area focuses on finding viewpoint sources such as opinion articles/editorials and pieces of visual rhetoric (cartoons, ads, bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc.) on three topics that you may choose a controversy from:
(1) Language Acquisition, Deprivation, Bilingualism for Deaf Children, the Nyle DiMarco Foundation and AGBADHH controversy;
(2) Black Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter;
(3) 2016 Political Campaign Rhetoric on Sanders, Clinton, and Trump
The second area focuses on finding informative sources regarding the larger historical, political, and cultural contexts.
(1) Deaf History, Deaf Education Debates, Resarch on Language Acquisition/Deprivation/Bilingualism (General/Deaf, L1/L2)
(2) Race, Racism, School-to-Prison Pipeline, Socioeconomic Disparities/Inequity/Inequality
(3) Socialism, Sexism, Xenophobia
If interested in filling out the evaluation form of this class, please fill it out. It is anonymous and there is a chance of winning a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card.
If you have questions, feel free to contact me, Joan Naturale - I am the NTID and Deaf Studies Librarian and happy to help.