Last Updated: Sep 14, 2023 11:42 AM
FRAME YOUR SEARCH BEFORE U BEGIN- 1.Search strategy, 2. Search fields/filters
- To filter out bias and error in scholarly publications, a reseach process called Evidence Based Nutrition (EBN ) is now used to ensure the application of appropriate clinical decisions in the nutrition fields.
- The medical field was the first to implement this type of research process which they call Evidence Based Medicine(EBM).
- The medical field uses the PICO method to help researchers frame their thought processes during a search:
- PICO stands for (Population; Intervention; Comparison; Outcome) (source: http://www.andeal.org/eal-terminology)
- PATIENT/PROBLEM - What are the characteristics of the patient or population or problem?
- INTERVENTION - What do you want to do with this patient or population or problem?
- COMPARISON - What are the alternatives to consider?
- OUTCOME - What are you trying to accomplish, measure, improve or affect?
- Are you looking for therapy (treatment), Diagnosis, Harm/Etiology (identify causes for disease) , Prognosis (estimate patient's clinical course), Prevention?
- What Type of Study are you looking for Primary - original research, Random Controlled Trials (RCT) , cohort study, Systematic reviews, etc.?