Thesis Instructions: Frequently Asked Questions

Thesis and Dissertation FAQ


Why do I need to provide an abstract of my work?

An abstract provides those reading your work with a brief overview of your research topic, findings and conclusions. This is a standard practice in academia, and mandated for publishing in scholarly journals and conference proceedings. RIT requires that you follow this practice.

Why can’t I single-space my text, and why can’t I print my work on both sides of the page?

Standard scholarly publishing practices require 1.5 or double-spacing of text and the use of only one side of a page in order to accommodate peer review and editing processes, and for ease in reproducing the text.


Submission to the RIT Digital Institutional Repository

Why is an electronic version of my thesis/dissertation placed in the Digital Institutional Repository?

RIT supports open access to all RIT scholarship, including graduate theses and dissertations. Your work will be preserved permanently in digital form. Each thesis/dissertation is assigned a persistent URL for consistent citation purposes, and is searchable via the Web, making it easily accessible to other scholars, students and future employers.

How do I submit my thesis/dissertation to the RIT Digital Institutional Repository?

Once you have submitted your electronic version of your thesis/dissertation to ProQuest, a library staff member retrieves your work from ProQuest, and submits it to the Repository for you, at no additional cost.



Should I file for copyright?

Your work is automatically copyrighted once written.  If you wish to add another layer of protection, you may register your work with the U.S. Copyright Office directly. There are fees associated with this service.  You also have the option for ProQuest to file for copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office on your behalf for a $75 fee.  More information on copyrights can be found here

My address has changed since I had the copyright of my thesis/dissertation registered with the U.S. Copyright Office (either directly or through ProQuest.) What do I need to do to have my information updated with the U.S. Copyright Office?

Contact the U.S. Copyright Office directly by phone 202-707-6787, fax 202-252-3519 or email .


Print Copies and Binding

RIT Libraries has made the difficult decision to permanently cease accepting print copies of thesis/dissertations for binding as of March 20th, 2020. Please refer to the Binding Information page for information regarding our preferred alternative.

Edit this Guide

Log into Dashboard

Use of RIT resources is reserved for current RIT students, faculty and staff for academic and teaching purposes only.
Please contact your librarian with any questions.

Facebook icon  Twitter icon  Instagram icon  YouTube icon