Breakout Rooms and Captionist/Interpreter
Captioning and/or interpreting can also be provided during Breakout Room sessions in Zoom. However, there are a few important considerations for instructors when using these small-group features:
- Captionists/Interpreters must be assigned to the same breakout room as their supported student(s). It is a good idea to notify all students that you will be using breakout rooms ahead of time. Students who use captioning and/or interpreting services will need to alert you that their service provider should be assigned to the same breakout room with them. Captionists and interpreters cannot disclose who their supported students are due to confidentiality restrictions.
- Captioning and interpreting can only be provided to one breakout room at a time. Some classes may have more than one student who requires captioning. In this case, all captioning and/or interpreting students will need to be assigned to the same breakout room, unless other arrangements have been made ahead of time.
- Captioning and interpreting can only be assigned by the Host in the main room. If you have multiple captionists/interpreters supporting a class and it is time to switch while the students are in breakout rooms, the captionists/interpreters will have to return to the main room in order for you to manually switch the assigned typing/interpreting role.
Limitations of Breakout Rooms
Cannot record to the cloud; can record locally
Responding to requests for help
Participants in breakout rooms can request that the meeting host join their meeting by clicking Ask for Help .
You will be prompted to join the room where the request originated from. Click Join Breakout Room to join the room.
Broadcasting a message to all breakout rooms
The host or co-hosts can broadcast a message to all breakout rooms to share information with all participants. This can be done from the main session or from within a breakout room.
- Click Breakout Rooms in the meeting controls.
- Click Broadcast message to all, enter your message, and click Broadcast.
- The message will now appear for all participants in breakout rooms.